Friday, June 19, 2009

Sign Spinning: The New Romance Language

America.

It's an amazing place. And one thing I find especially amazing is free enterprise. If you're good at something, you can make money at it.

Amid my travels today, I saw a man spinning a sign on the corner. I found myself hypnotized by his advanced sign spinning skills, but was able to tear my gaze away from his hands and down to his shirt. On it was an icon of another man spinning a sign. This sign spinner I was admiring was outsourced.

That's right. There are actually companies that employ and train people to spin signs for other companies. In fact, there's probably someone spinning a sign right now at a job fair for future sign spinners. By 2014, Arizona State is going to have a sign spinning department.

Recently I was in downtown Phoenix and witnessed two kids spinning large pieces of cardboard with a box of money in front of them.

At this point I'd like to piggyback a question on my free enterprise comment.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!

Mozart composed esoteric symphonies and operas. DaVinci invented something new every day. Michelangelo created paintings that would make God weep. Now we're applauding and cheering people for spinning cardboard behind their backs.

Ladies and gentlemen, we're living in a time I am hereby dubbing THE ANTI-RENAISSANCE: A time when we celebrate the mundane.

Keep your fingers crossed for a plague.

No comments: