Monday, June 15, 2009

Taxes: Good for Everyone but You

I, like most people, look at my before-tax earnings on my paycheck and say, "Yes!". Then I look at my after-tax earnings and say, "No! Goddamnit!"

I take a couple of deep breaths and remind myself that without taxes I'd be driving on dirt roads full of dead animals. Then I look at my Social Security and Medicare taxes and punch a hole in the space-time continuum with my rage.

Why? I'm thirty years old and I'm never going to see a dime of either of those funds.

When I retire I'm going to have a 401K (which will translate to an IOU by the time I'm sixty) and a years of service watch which I'll pawn to pay for my Netflix bill.

But I hold one small candle of hope: That someday we'll have free healthcare.

When I'm an old man having to sell my Wind Energy stock so I can afford to supersize my McDonald's Big Tofu Mac and Asparagus Fries, I want to take comfort in knowning that I don't have to come up with the money to see a doctor when my colon starts to rot.

There's just one problem with this beautiful idea of free healthcare. To do it, we'll probably have to pay more in taxes. And as we all know Americans don't like to do anything that involves an ounce of sacrifice.

So rather than give up a few extra dollars on our paychecks, I have a solution:

We should all spend thousands of dollars on health insurance, co-pays, tests, prescriptions, and hospital visits.

It's genius.

No comments: