Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Mankind: Totally Screwed

Hollywood has produced so many movies about the day the machines take over and slaughter human beings that I actually find myself getting angry when a new one is made.

At first I thought the reason was that the novelty had worn off. No one is still saying, "Woah woah woah! You mean machines could one day pillage my belongings and enslave my family? What the f?" It's commonplace now. It's fact. Machines will someday rise to the top of the food chain. Everyone knows that.

But yesterday I witnessed a woman in her forties trying to return a redbox dvd at Walgreens. She couldn't do it. Then a nice college guy tried to help her. He couldn't do it either. At the same time a man had trouble starting his new Prius in the parking lot. A woman, on her way out of the store, had her call dropped on her cell phone. A teenager looked confused as he searched his Ipod for songs he thought he uploaded. Then all of these people looked at one another helplessly for answers.

Ladies and gentlemen, the machines have already won.

No comments: